[ihc] re. Intermittent Starter

Here are some lo-buck solutions, to try before replacing the starter.

remove starter & clean it - oil & sand gum it up & act as a heat sink

remove solenoid & clean it, polish plunger & bore
if clean, replace the solenoid, see below

check ground path to starter, ie clean mounting & good ground strap

Starter Fix By: The Binder Bunch
During the summer our vehicles had trouble with the starter solenoid getting hot and and
not letting the starter engage. We solved the problem by changing the original solenoid
with a heat resistant solenoid from a G.M. front wheel drive car.
The G.M. part number is #1114458, and is identified by its brown Bakelite case.
You will also need to purchase the short solenoid return spring used with the heat resistant
solenoid: GM# 1958679.
(Above is for SII, is '69 the same?)

ford remote solenoid

(For Scout II owners w/ auto trans & 30 year old wiring)
momentary push button to bypass NSS and dash relay
This fires the ford relay and bypasses many problems.
It's probably not safe for kids, though.

Bob
48 Willys\77 SII