Reply: [ihc] Inner fender Rhino liner

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, John Hofstetter wrote:

> On Saturday, February 7, 2004, at 03:48 PM, Ted Borck wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried coating the front inner fender area (fender side
> > toward engine - inner fender side toward wheel) with Rhino liner or
> > the like as preventative rust proofing?
>
> At the different regional get-togethers I've seen a couple of Scouts
> totally Rhino lined exterior and inner panels. I didn't care much for
> the looks of the stuff on the outside, but I imagine it's easy upkeep.

I could understand the use of Rhino liner on the outside to produce a
lower belt line, like the new vehicles do with dark plastic - a la Jxxp
Chxrxkxx.

> > Maybe even opening up the drain hole at the bottom of the fender prior
> > to application of liner coating?
> >
> > It looks like I just purchased a no rust Scout, and want to keep it
> > that
> > way, as long as possible.
> >
> > What about the 2nd most area likely to rust - the windshield frame?
> >
> > 3rd the floor, and 4th the rear quarter panels.
>
> Out here, the biggest rust problem seems to be stuff collecting inside
> the rear quarter panels. Alkali and other corrosives get thrown up in
> there and can't get out and the rear fender just kind of melts from the
> inside out. Several people have talked about opening up a passage into
> that space so that they get better drainage, and I guess can wash it
> out.

What about utilizing an inner fender liner like used on the front wheels
of my Explxrxr?  Or a vertical curtain like used on the rear wheels of my
Jxxp Chxrxkxx.

> > Your rust order may vary.
>
> Ted, in your part of the country, have you had any feedback about the
> rust prevention devices that work by an electrical current doing some
> kind of protective electrolysis?  You don't think I know what I'm
> talking about, do you? You are so right!

Only on boats and vessels, , , hmm, , , let's see you'd have to electricly
tie all potential rustable (is that a word?) body components together,
introduce a current flow to reverse the oxidation reduction reaction to a
sacrificial metal.

You'd have more floating grounds than a Morgan Plus 4.

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust."

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided