[ihc] Rear end sealing

> Subject: [ihc] What's in your rear end?

Jim,

That was not only a great post, but a really funny subject line!

I just put 3 quarts of Mobil 1 75W-140 gear oil along with a high
filler cover in the rear of the Terra. I wasn't really paying attention
when I bought the gear oil from Kragen and nearly passed out when I
realized that it cost me over $15 a quart. That realization came to me
when I was in a compromising position under my truck, and so I just
went ahead and put it in.

My new diff cover came with a gasket, but it leaked a little. So, I
drained the gear oil, used sealant only, and put the gear oil back in.
Well, Hofs, I do have my moments...

I used a gasket and my old standby P-tex #2. Might have gone with the aviation 300, but the current tube of #2 has a cracked cap and needs used up. Just don't trust silicone with gear oil, never had a bad experience with the 'traditional' sealants. I use the thinnest film possible to cover the entire gasket surface, which ain't much. FWIW, the NAPA bought Spicer gasket had noticeably more accurate hole positioning than the Fel-Pro I just installed on the front axle.

I'm trying to decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the rear core plugs in the block(the ones *inside* the bellhousing :( ) just started to leak profusely.

Guess it beats pulling the tranny and t-case in Shoshone. Gotta look on the bright side!

Jim