[ihc] Glessie's no start again

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:08:51 -0800
From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] Intermittent Starter

Bill,

The most common cause of the symptoms that you are experiencing is the
signal that is getting to the solenoid. Many, many of us have resolved
that problem by putting a Ford solenoid on the firewall, and letting
the signal from the ignition switch activate the Ford solenoid, and
have the Ford solenoid send the signal on to the Delco starter.

There are two versions of this "fix", the one I use which is to use the
Ford solenoid as a relay, and a more complicated "fix" that has the
Ford solenoid replace the switching function of the Delco solenoid.
There is  write-up on the BB FAQ of this complicated fix. Our Tom M.
and others will say that it is not all that complicated, but the relay
solution is certainly more "above-board". <g>

John

Hofs, I don't disagree with anything you've said here. However, I had that truck for 2 years or so with *no* hot start issues whatsoever. It was my primary tow vehicle for most of that time, so I got it good and warm on a number of occasions. That history implies that something has changed. Either the battery has lost some cranking ampacity, the starter circuit or main battery connections have gone south, or the starter itself has taken a dump. I pretty much think the likelyhood is in reverse order of that list, but....

Bill, IIRC you need to depend on this truck to start and get your field stuff to a job site. If it were me, I would 1) have the battery load tested 2) check for corrosion/anything funky with the main battery cable to the starter 3) have the starter rebuilt by a proper auto electric shop, and 4) install a remote Ford style solenoid in the 'simple' configuration.

Jim