[ihc] Rebuilds, motor oil, etc

If you watched tail pipes on vehicles powered by the 345 (the engines I encountered most) you'd see the dark deposits replaced by white as the engine broke in over some thousands, or tens of thousands, of miles.

It just took more time with those blocks, those rings, and the technology of the time. Using the moly rings in a rebuild was, in the 70's, a task that required great care if the rings were to seat at all. Local machinist honed the bores by hand and success with his work was intermittent, from engine to engine, and even cylinder to cylinder. His work often required the Bon Ami follow-up. I took a 345 block a hundred miles across the state to have an early kind-of-computer controlled boring and honing machine do the work. No problem in getting those rings to seat, but as Tom says, that engine got stronger and stronger as the miles racked up.

Not relevant to much of anything in this discussion, but after a couple of thousand miles on the new Travelall that we had, I started using Mobil 1 motor oil. When I tore that engine down after about 125,000 miles, I was surprised at the wear in the cylinders. I still use Mobil 1, but I'm pretty sure that it is a lot better product than it was in 1972.

John