Re: [ihc] RHD Power Steering, gasoline smell

Dave,

The hard chrome won't make it any stronger. It is used to build up a worn out surface, then ground to fit. It is a way
to fit the worn out case to the piston so that the slop is almost eliminated.

For example I had an old Triumph motorcycle a long time ago, the tranny shafts were worn a bit and I had new bushings.
The precision grinder man told me to get the shafts hard chromed so much, then come back and he would grind them to fit
the bushings.

First take it all apart and bring it to a precision grinder. Tell them what you want to accomplish (fit the piston to
the bore of the case very accurately), ask questions. Where to get it chromed, how much thickness, etc. How much is the
grinding/honing, etc. I am assuming the piston is OK and the case worn.

- Jim in Mesa