Re: [ihc] Colin considering coolants

At 7:39 AM 1/26/04, Jim Grammer wrote:
>Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:10:42 -0600
>From: Colin Gebhart <colin@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re[2]: [ihc] NPG tech papers
>
>So I was reading some of this and thinking to myself...

Evans is the NPG snake-oil outfit. You really DO have to have almost ALL of
the H2O out of either ethylene OR propylene glycol before the boiling point
goes WAY up. The most interesting thing about water / glycol solutions is
the (approx.) 200F difference between the temp at which H2O will boil out
and at which it will condense back in !! Reference an ASHRAE handbook for
further details and graphs !!

In an undercooled engine, particularly one with steam pockets (try SBC or
SBF) Evans MIGHT make a slight difference. in an engine with properly
designed water jackets (try IH SV), using such stuff is self flagellatory
!!

Greg (runs 50/50 PG/H2O with a 'wetter' additive ( BG's 'Super Cool', most
active ingredient sodium nitrite), and it works FINE.)