RE: [ihc] scout roll bar

## >> Here's a pic of a stock rollbar.. first installed in the '76 Spirit
## >> models.. mounted to the floor..
## >>
## >> http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/jpg/spirit76/vid_caps007.jpg
## >> http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/jpg/spirit76

thanks, Tom, for that graphic reminder of what happens when good Scouts go
bad.

## >> Yes, it's worth it.  Ask David.. who ran track the following weekend,
## >> and has expanded his IH collection to include an A series
## >> Travelette, a
## >> 1210 Wagonmaster, a 1210 pickup, a diesel Traveler, a race
## >> Scout, and a
## >> few others since that day.

and yes, it's definitely worth it.  our 1970 Scout 800A has a "stock"
rollbar in place.  it's not factory, as such things were apparently not done
in the factory for those models of Scout, but in our case, it's the
dealer-installed item, and according to the PPO, was installed prior to
taking delivery of the vehicle when it was new.  the rollbar is welded to a
set of thick angle iron mounts bolted to the tops of the fenderwells just
behind the front seats, and bolted through the inner fender on each side.
it's quite stout, as demonstrated by the Scout's survival of my rolling it.
i walked away from that rollover with no damage to myself other than the
bruises where my lovely Bride beat me up for rolling her truck.  we set it
back on its wheels that day, and within a couple weeks it was drivable again
(though with no top in the snowy mountains, it wasn't going anywhere), the
delay mostly due to having trouble getting new axle centre pins and patching
the radiator.

here are the before and after pictures of when i rolled that 800A:

before:
http://master.triad.ath.cx/html/rollover.html
after:
http://master.triad.ath.cx/html/mini.html

i still drive that Scout 800A today.  well, i would, if it wasn't so cold
out.  when it's warm, or at least not raining or snowing, i drive it.  it's
sitting in our carport with no top on it at the moment.  still runs and
drives the way it should, despite my mistreatment of it.  i highly recommend
a rollbar.  a rollcage if you can afford it and/or are up to the challenge
of installing one.  but at the very least, a rollbar of the factory/dealer
type.

just my usual two cents with requisite grain of salt disclaimer.

--Mac

1972 TravelAll 1110/1210 4x4 (alive and well)
1972 TravelAll 1010 (counted with the dead)
1970 Scout 800A 4x4 (alive and mostly well)
1960 B122 4x2 (returning to the land of the living this spring)

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/