Re: [ihc] Re: onboard air tanks

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Dennis Bernth"
<scoutdude@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 22:54
Subject: RE: [ihc] Re: onboard air tanks

> Ryan,
>
> I like that idea also... just sent an email to a fire captain buddy of
mine,
> asking if he has a line on retired tanks.
>
> I hadn't thought about the drain valve, though. Yes, it is a good idea to
> drain air tanks. On a conventional tank, the idea is to prevent rust and
> possible rupture (as well as making it easier for the line filters).
Perhaps
> that's not as big an issue on an SCBA tank? Don't know how they're
> constructed... Dennis? Or anyone else?
>
> I don't think you will be able to remove the water before it enters the
> tank. The water comes from compression condensation after it's in the
tank.
> Maybe if your relative humidity is close to zero or something, but then
> you've got other problems!
>
> Y'all have too many interesting ideas... even after I "finish" a project,
> won't ever be finished.  -John A.

Heh, you should see some of the ideas I have that don't find their way on
here!
On that note, I still think the dead space in a scout II body would be a
great place for tool boxes... make them accessible from the outside so stuff
inside doesn't interfere.  If I had the materials and ability to do it, part
of the OBA project would include an access panel on the outside of the body
with an air hose fitting *and* an air tank emergency relief pull handle,
maybe run with a cable to a pin that would open a line to relieve the tank's
pressure.  In case the emergency relief valve wouldn't pop or the compressor
got stuck on etc etc, as well as to be able to completely relieve pressure
to the tank in general.  That's in addition to an electric switch I'd like
to have to release the pressure so the tank wouldn't always have to sit with
air in it or to release pressure to service the tank.

Thanks,
Ryan