[ihc] Re: onboard air tanks

Ryan-
You might consider an 'out of test' CO2 or welding gas tank, or an outdated
SCBA tank from a fire department. Those tanks are considered 'high pressure'
and have to have an over pressure test every ten(?) years I beleive. Since
they're rated for 1800 psi (CO2 or SCBA) or 3000 psi (argon/oxygen/helium/et
al) putting 125 psi of compressed air in em isn't even getting close. Plus,
they're thick and sturdy- you won't hole one on a rock, I think you could
balance the truck on a sharp rock on one of those tanks without hurting it.
You'd have to do some 'adapting' as far as the valving, since they have
proprietary gas valves, but welding shops can do that. I know fire departments
have to replace the SCBA tanks every few years for OSHA, and there isn't a lot
of demand for them for obvious reasons. The SCBA tank is maybe a little
smaller than a 'twenty pounder' CO2 tank like coke dispensers use, which
should fit under the 'step'.
Dennis

<I'm still wanting to get the time to put on board <air on the scout... under
<the step would be a good place for an air tank, <right?

<Thanks,
<Ryan

<Just make it rock proof or shielded.  There's a <lot of energy stored in a
<compressed air tank.

<Steve