RE: [ihc] Tire question

## >> I found a place today that has a set of aluminum 15" rims that I am
## >> interested in for a '69 1210.  They are 8-bolt with five
## >> large oval slots
## >> like the mid-70s Jeeps had.  I have always liked those rims, so I am
## >> thinking of getting them.  However, they have a set of tires
## >> on them that
## >> I do not necessarily need, but would get with the rims if I
## >> have to, if
## >> they fit my truck.  They are 37" x 12.50 Wrangler MT tires,
## >> Load Range D.
## >>  They also say "Military OZ" on them, whatever that means.  Will these
## >> fit my truck?  The truck is not driveable right now, as it is about 45
## >> miles south of me, waiting for me to get a title for it so I can drive
## >> it, which means I cannot drive the truck to the place to see
## >> if they will
## >> fit.  If they will not fit, I will try to get the rims by
## >> themselves, but
## >> I got the feeling from talking to the proprietor that he does
## >> not really
## >> want to split up the rims and tires.  Any input on this would be
## >> appreciated.

there are a couple questions that probably need to be addressed...  what
size are the rims currently on your truck?  what size are the brakes?  how
much lift and/or clearance does your truck have?  what size brakes have you
currently got, and on what axles?

i've got a pair of 1972 TravelAlls.  one is a 1010 running 31"x10.50" tires
on 15"x8" rims with no trouble at all, but that's the biggest i think it can
safely run.  it has the IFS front with disc brakes, and a rear D44SF with
what appear to be stock Scout II brakes.  the other is an 1110 with 1210
axles (D60FF rear and HD44 front) and springs, using 8-lug hardware.  the
1110 currently has 16.5" wheels and 33"x12.50" tires.  it could safely fit
34" tires, and *MAYBE* 35" if i don't mind a lot of rubbing during
suspension articulation.

BUT!  that 1110/1210 has 12"x3" brakes all the way around.  i could probably
fit 16" rims on it, but i have no doubts whatsoever that 15" wheels will NOT
fit on those drums.  if your 1210 has brake hardware like what i have, then
you may not be able to fit 15" wheels either, unless they have a *lot* of
offset to the outside, which would not be real healthy for your axles.
might be something you want to check out before laying out any dosh.

one of the questions i have is...  are you certain those are 15" rims with
37" tires on them?  if they're military tires, the odds are good they're
from a HMMWV.  that's one of the three sizes the US Army runs on their
HMMWVs here:  36", 37", and 38", all Wrangler MTs in load ranges D and E.
but HMMWVs use 8-lug 16.5" wheels.  we have some older Chevrolet/GMC
1.25-ton vehicles which also use 8-lug wheels, but those are all 16" and
16.5" wheels too, and they use smaller tires than the HMMWVs.

anyway, my opinion is that a '69 to '73 truck or TravelAll won't fit
anything bigger than about a 34" tire safely without some lift and/or fender
trimming.  i think the Binder Bulletin FAQ says something along the same
lines.  but more importantly, as i said earlier, if you have axle hardware
anything like what i have, there's no way you'll fit 15" rims over your
brake drums.

just my nickel once again, standard grain of salt disclaimer applies.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi