Re: Re[4]: [ihc] Rusty water

on 1/12/04 12:34 AM, Colin Gebhart at colin@domain.elided wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I noticed you stopped short of recommending PG on Scouts. I was just
> throwing the wisdom of a 25 year old document out there.
>
> Just saying the latter about RMI-25 was your undoing :)
>
> CTS-2019P, Coolant, A, 3 (section end)
>
> "Soluble oil is not recommended for use on IH truck engines as its use
> will reduce heat transfer.  There are no miracle additives that will
> increase heat transfer or prevent over-heating.  Conditioned water is
> still the best coolant."
>
> Sorry :> Colin.

Hmm, Colin, what else can you find to discredit my already shaky opinions
about things? <g>

Jim Grammar was the person who turned me toward RMI-25, and any
recommendation from him carries a lot of weight with me. Besides that, I buy
my RMI-25 from a supplier to large trucking companies, and they use a lot of
it. Besides that, it makes your coolant look so healthy and clean. And, it
stays that way.

Having had Scouts almost as long as International did, actually longer, I
can recommend the use of a soluble oil, as they worked well for me, and
RMI-25 is probably the best I ever used.

I guess that I would argue that the RMI-25 is a conditioner that helps
produce what International calls "Conditioned Water". (Little playing around
with the words there)

However, if anyone is still reading this, no conditioner avoids the problem
with silicates in normal anti-freeze, and it needs to be changed yearly, or
at the longest, every two years.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs