[ihc] Re: Propylene Glycol

on 1/12/04 12:23 AM, Colin Gebhart at colin@domain.elided wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Sorry, i've been really behind on emails, just saw this.  Well, coulda
> sworn I had initially found it in the owner's manual, but didn't on
> this quick look.
>
> However, inside CTS-2313 Truck Service Manual, Scout II XLC Series,
> volume 1 contains CTS-2019P Page4.  Heading Coolant A, 2, d.
>
> "Anti-freeze formulated with methoxy propanol or propolene glycol is
> not recommended for use in IH engines due to a reaction with engine
> external seals, coolant hoses, and potential fire hazard due to lower
> flash points than ethylene glycol type anti-freezes."
>
> Hope this helps, Colin.

Thanks, Colin, I appreciate you taking the time to find the reference.

Your quote raises a side issue. I have to do some research, maybe as easy as
reading the bottle. Is Propylene Glycol a flammable substance?  The thought
that it might be never crossed my mind.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs