Re: [ihc] shop

Willy-
I agree with the 60x60 minimum for a shop. Mine was supposed to be 30x40 to
start, but the builder (who was a local guy and a neighbor) was doing two
buildings, mine and a 30x48. He evidently got the '48' on his brain and laid
mine out at 48' also, which he found out when he started to put up the trusses
<g>. When he was a couple short, he came to me and made me a deal- he would
absorb the extra poles, lumber and labor, if I would pay for the trusses and
metal to cover the extra 8 feet, so he wouldn't have to soak labor into
redoing the entire thing since the doors and all were in the wrong places.
Never regretted that at all, except when it's time to heat it. I soon filled
it, and added a 12'x40' lean-to behind it. Filled that up, I now have a 45'
Fruehauf full of IH parts behind the lean-to, that is behind my shop, which at
this time I can get ONE vehicle in to. When it comes to shops, bigger IS
better, and if heat is a problem you can always wall off a work area to warm
up and leave the rest basically unheated storage. The other point is, build it
TALLER than you think you need. I built mine 10' to the eaves, which was
taller than I ever expected to need. Unfortunately, I never consulted the
Great Karnak so I could find out that above ground hoists would become popular
and way more affordable in 15 years. When I started to dread crawling under
Scouts n' stuff, I started to seriously shop hoists, and got a near-new Mohawk
for a good deal from a friend who had closed his garage, which had been in
business for about 60 some years. A lot of the 'remnants' of that 60 year old
garage are the reason only one vehicle fits in my shop at a time now- but I
ain't one to turn down free Sun machines, two truckloads of shelving, and lots
of other goodies. But anyhow, to use the lift the way it was intended, I
needed 12' clearance. I was able to get by with cutting one truss (much like
Hofs described for his radiant heater I suspect, except a bigger hole) and
rebracing it, then boxing in the taller area, but it's not as nice as it would
have been had I had the 12' clearance to start with. I was limited in where I
could put the hoist, it isn't where I would choose to have it, but it works
and keeps me off my back and I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.
Point is, plan for stuff you don't ever think to get, just in case. I put in
electricity with the idea of a 220V air compressor, and another 220V (heavier
duty) drop for a welder. Nice, but I should have three- the hoist runs on 220v
also. Plus, I rearranged the shop more to my liking, and my compressor is now
running off of my welder plug, and I often run the 220v MIG off of the
original compressor outlet. But to do that , I have to unhook the hoist, which
I have wired in on the original compressor outlet. I think you get the picture
anyhow.
As for floor heat, I wish I had thought of that- when I followed Tom M's
project on building the shop at his mom's, I drooled over the idea of that
radiant floor heat. I have a 70,000 btu output hanging heater (similar to the
one Tom has but smaller), and I have the same problem- it is pretty low to the
floor for somebody 6'1" tall, but I have it in an out of the way spot as much
as possible. Once I get more insulation in my ceiling, that heater will be
more than enough, and I have a 55,000 btu waste oil stove that's going in on
the South side of the shop. Propane is costy around here, so the idea is warm
it up with propane, and use the free oil to keep it warm while I work. Since
it's supposed to be single digits for the next few nights, I think I waited
too long on the oil heater, but I may still get it in before the spring
thaw<g>.
Dennis