RE: [ihc] 73 Travelall 1010 cowl cleanout tribulation

(snip)

> Honestly, (rant mode on), I dont see why this area was
> designed in this fashion. The dust will fall/wash through
> the drains, but it only takes a couple of leaves to block
> the drain, and then it starts filling up. This will need
> cleaning out every year, at least, because there is no way
> to place a screen under the cowl grille to prevent it
> since there is no way to access that area. (rant off)

(more snip)

On my '67, I removed the screws holding the cowl insert to the cowl, and
using the insert piece for a pattern, cut a piece of fine steel mesh (like
window screen, but not the plastic kind) that fits between the insert and
the cowl access hole in front of the windshield. This doesn't solve the
problem of dirt and dust piling up in the corners of the inner drain area,
but it sure keeps the larger twigs and leaves out. Couldn't you do something
like that on the later trucks? Or is that insert piece with the open grid
pattern all-of-a-piece with the cowl? If so, all I can say is they took a
bad design and made it even worse. Something in the water back in '68, I
guess...  -John A.
---