RE: [ihc] Center pins

From: "Ed Sohm" <idaemes@domain.elided>
To: "'Ryan Moore'" <baradium@domain.elided>, <hofs@domain.elided>, <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
CC: <T_R_E_Jr@domain.elided>, <dnuenke@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [ihc] Center pins
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:25:03 -0600
<snip>
I have a good story on the subject of scary shifting axles.

<snip>
Center bolts are pretty easy to find (NAPA), and cheap.  I wasn't sure
what size we needed for a Scout so I got 2 each of three different sizes
for ~$10 and kept the extras. The worst part of the job was loosening
and re-tightening the u-bolts to get the new pin in.  I'm with Tom, 5/16
or 3/8"

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B
'74 200 4X4 Travelette Camper Special
+ a bunch more

The guy at NAPA who I talked to on the phone said they only had 1/2" ones... however when I went in person with one of my leaves we found more. It was 5/16" a little looser than I'd have thought they'd have it in the hole, but a 3/8" bolt wasn't even close to go in. It's a cut to fit one that seems to be about 6" or so long so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the bolt all the way through the spring pack right off. I might try to start on that tomorrow, have to change the oil in the '70 chevy pickup first though, it's a bit overdue and it may become my primary transportation if the scout isn't fixed by the 5th of January (when I have to hit the road again to head back to TN). Wouldn't be all that fun of a drive with the lack of a working radio and all... at least it has heat now... but on that note... if anyone ever asks if you want to help change a heater core in a 67-72 chevy, run.. fast. Required removing the hood hinges and hood (For seperate reasons) as well as most of the bolts for the inner fender. To top it off, the replacement cores aren't close enough to original to fit without what I considered extensive modification of mounting hardware and the shell. Bright side is that it has heat again.

Back to the scout, I'm definately not looking forward to putting that center pin back in... it has a notch in it for a flat head screwdriver, but we'll see how that works. Anyone have a torque spec for the bolt or do I need to see if the service manual has anything? Also, how do you torque it down when installed if the head can turn too?

Still have a relatively major undertaking in finding ubolts. The passenger side front ones don't seem to be easily availible, although I havn't seen if NAPA can order them yet. Advanced actually has ones that I think might be correct for the other perches... although I see them as being of dubious quality. There isn't a spring shop anywhere close by (last time I had to go to Atlanta and to multiple places before I could get some custom made). That's the only thing I think should really hold me up at this point, assuming the center pin goes in well and I don't find any more center pins missing. I bought 4 center pins while I was at NAPA, at $2 apiece I figured I could afford to have a bunch of spares.

Looking at my bottom leaf is it obvious that the axle shifted about .5-1" and just sat like that for the past year or so. Didn't move any more and didn't move back and forth. I just got really lucky. One more item I'll be adding to my regular maintainance checks on my vehicles. It's a good thing my u-bolts were good and tight...

If this post makes it through too, then I'll say I think we are back in buisiness! (I've had a random post make it through during a server hiccup previously).

-Ryan

Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work  and yourself. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx