[ihc] Who's winching whom?

Pretty interesting this morning. An old friend asked me to help him move a
pretty darn big quartz rock up a hill and into place in his front yard.

I took the Scout over but it seemed to be a mismatch. That piece of rock
must have weighed 5,000 lbs., if it weighed an oz. Fortunately the ground
was wet, so after we got a choker on the rock, the 30 year old Warn moaned
and groaned and started the rock up the hill. We were plowing a furrow about
a foot deep and 4 feet wide in the moist dirt. When the hill got steeper, I
got out my snatch block and doubled my pull.

The poor old winch moaned and groaned, but never stopped pulling. It was a
long steady very hard pull, and I worried some about the motor overheating,
but I damned the torpedoes and kept on pulling. So did the winch.

If the Terra could talk, it probably would have remarked on how unusual it
was for it to be pulling a rock up a hill rather than using a rock to pull
itself up a hill.

Man, those old Warn winches were something. Can't say enough good about
them!

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs