[Fwd: Re: [ihc] Outfitting my shop]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ihc] Outfitting my shop
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:13:51 -0500
From: Robert Brooks <rbrooks@domain.elided>
To: Jim Camery <jcamery@domain.elided>
CC: ihc-digest@domain.elided

Jim;

I would use and have in my garage black pipe.  I have a large
condensation trap at the compressor, and another smaller one on
each of the air outlets, especially ones that I use for painting
or sand blasting. The problem with Black pipe is that any
condensation that gets into the pipes will cause rust, and it will
get in.  Any moisture when you sand blast or paint will also cause
problems.  I also have an 2 air outlets on my work bench that I
use for air tools when taking things apart or putting them back
together, they have a moisture trap and a small oiler in line.

Don't use copper or PVC for air, unless it's the type made for a
high pressure application.  At work we use either High pressure
Schedule K copper for air lines, Silver Soldered and Stainless
Steel for nitrogen and other gases.  The regular copper you would
use for plumbing will not stand up to air pressure, IMHO.  Neither
will standard White PVC, though I do know people that have used it
and gotten away with it for a while.  It is not recommended.

Bob

Jim Camery wrote:

This christmas I'm finally taking the big step of buying a fancy
sandblasting cabinet from tptools.com and big air compressor to replace
the fisher-price thing 3hp thing I've gotten by on for years (decades?). This should eliminate my last reason for not finishing a '68 truck I've
been rehabbing for years.

What I want to do, though, is build some sort of manifold system so I can
put the compressor in a corner and have piping to air outlets around the
shop - a total of probably 100 feet of piping. What do people recommend
for piping and connections and valves? I will have to attach it to cinder
block walls. Do I need a condensation/dirt trap at each outlet? Any help
based on experience would be appreciated.

--
Jim Camery