Re: [ihc] Outfitting my shop

Jim,

Have a look see at this URL:

http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

That should help a bit with figuring out what size pipe you need to use and how to go about plumbing it.

I'm Real Close to buying a hundred or so feet of 1" Sch40 blackpipe and some couplers and plumbing my new shop. I have a little more wiring to do first, but I also need to get the pipe into the attic before we drywall in January.

Avoid PVC - it's cheap and easy to work with, but it doesn't like the hot/cold cycles caused by the hot compressed air and when it fails, it tends to fail in a spectacular manner - sending shards everywhere.

You'll want a regulator at every "drop", ideally.

Part of my plan is to put one or two drops in the ceiling. I bought a 25' 3/8" air-hose on a rectracting reel that I plan to mount in the ceiling, near my "work bay" to avoid running hoses all over.

You'll want your air compressor to be as far from the blasting cabinet, "air line" wise, as possible to give the compressed air more time to cool and the moisture to condense out.

Jim Camery wrote:

This christmas I'm finally taking the big step of buying a fancy
sandblasting cabinet from tptools.com and big air compressor to replace
the fisher-price thing 3hp thing I've gotten by on for years (decades?). This should eliminate my last reason for not finishing a '68 truck I've
been rehabbing for years.

What I want to do, though, is build some sort of manifold system so I can
put the compressor in a corner and have piping to air outlets around the
shop - a total of probably 100 feet of piping. What do people recommend
for piping and connections and valves? I will have to attach it to cinder
block walls. Do I need a condensation/dirt trap at each outlet? Any help
based on experience would be appreciated.

--
Jim Camery