Re: [ihc] Carb help needed

Dave-
I don't think the auto trans kickdown would be any type of insurmountable
problem. Lokar for one (check Summit Racing catalog) makes a trick kickdown
cable that is adaptable to about any setup. Something like that could ease
installation considerably, and they aren't very expensive- $30 or so IIRC.
That might be a better investment than having your mechanic diddle with the
stock setup trying to make it work, at who knows how much $$ per hour. From
what I get from my buddy and from reading what happy users on BB say, the
Weber just gives you all round better performance. More 'guts' to be sure,
better fuel mileage, and improved driveability. Although the 'more guts' and
'better fuel mileage' seem to contradict themselves, they really don't- the
Weber is a progressive two barrel (kind of like half of a four barrel). The
primary barrel is quite a bit smaller than the normal one barrel carb, that
improves fuel mileage in normal driving. The second barrel is quite a bit
bigger, and only kicks in when you ask for more power- which is what you
get, a lot like kicking in the secondaries on a four barrel carb. In your
kind of driving, you would probably run 90-95% of the time on the primary,
which could save you quite a bit of fuel and also be good for extending the
life of your engine. But, it would be nice to know that if you misjudge your
distances and that loaded cement mixer is closer than you thought as you
pull out of that mailbox, you could hammer it and it would jump  right
smartly to get out of the way. As for headers, I'm personally not a fan, but
that's just me. Probably a function of where I live (rust belt), so they
don't last long. Plus, the RPM range that the IH engines live at (and your
IH/Jeep engine in your application specifically) they really don't get much
advantage from headers. Tom M and his 304 race engine- sure. He's pulling
RPM's and needs to breathe better. Your smogless 258 probably does fine with
the stock manifold. You might want to spend some time on the Jeep boards- I
think AMC may have made a cast iron 'header style' manifold later on that
that will fit your engine if you want to go that route. I do know they used
a pretty sweet aluminum two barrel manifold on some of the Jeeps and AMC
cars around 1982-83. It had an electric preheater and it's own water jacket
for hot water heat for better fuel atomization. I had one to put on my old
800A but never installed it, but I liked the looks of it. If you decide to
have your exhaust manifold pulled to fix the exhaust leak (I would, but
little stuff bothers me), I'd have it checked and trued at a machine shop
before reinstalling it. The long cast iron manifolds, with the heat they
get, tend to warp, and new gaskets usually won't fix the leak for long if at
all. If you're paying labor, again it's probably smarter to do it right once
and let your mechanic have the best chance he can at getting a good seal on
it.
Sorry for the book, just my cent and a half.
Dennis