RE: [ihc] Carb help needed

## >> Thanks for the reply.  I've considered upgrading the carb,
## >> but I'm stuck
## >> with the 1 bbl intake manifold.  Or, I guess I should say, my
## >> understanding is that I'm stuck with a 1bbl intake manifold.  Jeeps,
## >> AFAIK, have 2bbl intake manifolds stock, so I'd not only need the
## >> manifold adapter, but I'd need the whole darn manifold too.

no no no no no.  you misunderstood, i think.  the Weber adaptor kit is
designed to fit the Weber 2-barrel carb onto a single-barrel manifold
throat.  it's a really neat thing, too.  there are a few Scout 80/800 guys
that have done this with their 152s and 196s.  the word i've gotten is that
a tired out old 152 will really roar with that Weber kit installed.  and
it's an easy conversion, too.  the hardest part of the whole thing is
setting up the kickdown linkage if you have an auto tranny (as i believe you
do?).  otherwise, it's painless and a bolt-in operation.  the adaptor is
basically a two-sided flange.  it has the bottom flange that fits over the
studs on your 1-barrel manifold throat just like your original carb does,
and then the top flange has the fittings for the Weber 2-barrel.  bolt the
adaptor down on the intake, bolt the Weber onto the adaptor, hook everything
up, and you're done.

## >> There's also the issue of cost.  Fixing the choke is my current
## >> preferred option because it's the cheapest.  For my to drop a
## >> significant amount of extra cash into the fuel system, I'd have to see
## >> some real benefits.  Under a "best case" scenario, a $2000
## >> investment in
## >> Mopar SEFI and good exhaust headers would probably have taken me at
## >> least 5 YEARS to make my money back.  Worst case, over 10
## >> years.  Is it
## >> worth it?  I deemed not.

and this, of course, is the kicker.  the Weber kit from i believe Summit
Racing is about $260 or so, and includes everything you will need to do the
conversion.  it might be a little more, but i know it was less than $300 for
everything you would need.  i debated doing this conversion to our Scout 800
with 152, but we wound up trading it out before i got a chance to try it.
this conversion is only a bit more than what it will cost you to replace the
carb you currently have, and it will last a whole lot longer, and provide
much better performance.  i hear you can get much better fuel economy with a
Weber 2-barrel than your old 1-barrel ever got, too.

just my nickel.  usual grain of salt disclaimer applies.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi