RE: [ihc] RE: Tow Straps

Greetings,

: From: Ryan Moore [mailto:baradium@domain.elided]
: Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 8:07 PM
: To: John Hofstetter; Binder@domain.elided; ihc@domain.elided
: Cc: 'Dan Nees'; T_R_E_Jr@domain.elided
: Subject: Re: [ihc] RE: Tow Straps and thermostats

<snip!>

: All I want is something that if it says it's a 28,000 lb rope
: it'll hold if
: I apply 28,000 lb of force to it!

I suspect tow straps are kind of like engine stands.  For instance, you can
find some stands for $50-$75 that CLAIM they'll hold 2,000 # but may buckle
like a styrofoam cup when you put your Travelall's 345 on it.  OTOH, the
Blue-Point one might be rated considerably less and cost considerably
more... But it'll hold that >700# IHC engine faithfully. So much for
"standards" and "truth in advertising". John said this earlier today, but
_generally_ speaking, quality and price go hand in hand - though not
necessarily. Overall, I'm a believer in "You get what you pay for!" and
"There's no such thing as a free lunch!".

I know that doesn't help much. Just my 2 cents.

--Pete

     .===============.
   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]  \_/        [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/scout