RE: [ihc] RE: Tow Straps

At 11:07 PM -0600 12/11/03, Peter Ferris wrote:

I suspect tow straps are kind of like engine stands.  For instance, you can
find some stands for $50-$75 that CLAIM they'll hold 2,000 # but may buckle
like a styrofoam cup when you put your Travelall's 345 on it.  OTOH, the
Blue-Point one might be rated considerably less and cost considerably
more... But it'll hold that >700# IHC engine faithfully. So much for
"standards" and "truth in advertising". John said this earlier today, but
_generally_ speaking, quality and price go hand in hand - though not
necessarily. Overall, I'm a believer in "You get what you pay for!" and
"There's no such thing as a free lunch!".

I know that doesn't help much. Just my 2 cents.

--Pete
"You get what you pay for", reminds me of a recent series of events.

Some of you will remember that I decided I needed a wire-feed welder to go along with my stick welder for portability's sake. I bought a Lincoln 110V with which I am well satisfied, but not very good with.

So, Lincoln wanted $160 for a cart to go along with my welder. Too much money. I'd show them. Harbor Freight sold me a MIG welder cart for $ 39.95. I got it and assembled it, thinking all the time that some Chinese engineer must have a better understanding of forces than did I, because I couldn't see how it could hold any weight when it didn't have any triangular bracing. Oh, well, I trust engineers and designers.

I got it assembled, put my welder on it, and watched the stand collapse taking the welder toward the floor with it. Fortunately, I was close enough to grab the sinking table and rescue my welder.

Of course I knew better!, but I guess I just had to see. Lots of triangles on that piece of crap, now.

Yep, I'm a really good shopper, I am.

John
--
John Hofstetter