[ihc] Re: Tow Straps and thermostats

At 6:19 PM -0600 12/10/03, Peter Ferris wrote:

All I can say for sure is years ago Stant and Robertshaw were two very
different companies.  And today they appear to be very different companies.
Perhaps you somehow stumbled across a distributor page and mistook it for a
corporate/parent page?  I dunno.  Offer no explanation for what you saw. And
I certainly don't question your genuineness. .

That's not the case today anyhow. But so be it. We all agree on that point.
At least you and I agree on this point, Pete, and I don't want to cast aspersions on what others have said, but I think they made a mistake, perhaps in the way you suggest.

  But this got
me thinking... My strap seems to have gone MIA lately! But a question
arises: Is there really as big a difference in tow straps as there is in
PRICES for it.
Yes, from experience I know there is a huge difference among tow straps. I don't know that the quality necessarily depends on price, but certainly the two relate for the most part. Some of the distinguishing characteristics are:

Stretchability and the ability to snap back. You can jerk out a stuck vehicle using this rubber band effect when a straight pull wouldn't move it.

Resistance to abrasion is important because it is very difficult and rare for a strap not to sustain some damage with each use.

The kind of ends on the strap is important. The best, in my opinion, are the straps with loops formed into the ends rather than hooks. You can run the strap back through the loop without sustaining damage whereas you shouldn't use a hook to come back onto a strap.

Ideally, again in my opinion, you carry two straps a cheapie to use as a tree protector, and a good snap-back strap for getting others and yourself out of a "stick".

Years ago, I buried our 1210 in the quicksand of Canyon de Chelley a number of times. It sank clear to the body pan which gave enough surface area to stop the sinking. But, in addition to more than 7000 lbs. of vehicle our winches were pulling many many pounds of mud. Anyway, we broke winch cables twice, but that strap never faltered. I had paid about $60 for it from Dick Cepek in 1972. So it was expensive, but worth every cent.

 Looks as if most of the white stuff
has melted.  How 'bout where you are?
Here in our part of California , we got a little snow this morning after lots of rain last night. Should get in the high 50's this afternoon. Life here is hell.

Stay well all...
Hope your little guy gets better soon.

John
--