[ihc] RE: Tow Straps and thermostats

Hi Everyone,

John H., thanks for "opening the door" (or perhaps I opened it, you walked
thru it! ;-)) on this new thread. Since it's perhaps of interest to more
than just Binder owners, I'm copying an esteemed guest seeking his input as
well.  Come in Mr. Landry, are you there?! (I'll brow beat him into response
as necessary! ;-)). Since he's no longer an IHC Digester, maybe he'll reply
directly to the rest of us.

A brief recap: Last night I was pondering replacement of my MIA tow strap.
They vary in price, foot-for-foot, from around $6 or so on eBay, etc. to
over $100 for a similar length of strap.  My question was, in essence, "What
should I look for in a 'good' tow strap?"

One site that caught my eye was:

http://shop.offroadwarehouse.com/index.php?cat=199

Ol' Saline sez:

: Yes, from experience I know there is a huge difference among tow
: straps. I don't know that the quality necessarily depends on price,
: but certainly the two relate for the most part. Some of the
: distinguishing characteristics are:

This seems to be my opinion (as it forms, after some quick web research).
One thing that really caught my eye last night - I found a really neat
looking strap (http://www.talcospecialties.com/web6.htm). Very stout.
Boasted a MIGHTY capacity. But then I noted it said "Not for lifting
applications..." a few times in the ad. But it advocated TOWING. At first
blush, I wonder, "What's the big difference?"  Then I wondered if really
what they meant was "DO NOT USE AS A SLING or HOIST".  I know some materials
have phenomenal strength but can still be easily cut or "crushed" - and
perhaps slinging might jeopardize such a material.  Am I close, do you know?

: Stretchability and the ability to snap back. You can jerk out a stuck
: vehicle using this rubber band effect when a straight pull wouldn't
: move it.

Does anyone know if there any 'standard unit of measurement' for measuring
this elasticity? Or more importantly, perhaps, the "claim" regarding the
towing capacity? Is there any organization which concerns itself with these
things so when I go to buy a replacement strap, I can look for (for example)
an "SAE" (or whatever) rating of X, Y or Z? And what might some reasonable
ratings be?  Mainly I'm talking about pulling myself or "Soccer Moms" out of
the snow - back to road surface, etc. I'm NOT talking pulling 777's down the
maintenance ramp at TUL International! %^}

: Resistance to abrasion is important because it is very difficult and
: rare for a strap not to sustain some damage with each use.

Makes perfect sense.  Agreed.

: The kind of ends on the strap is important. The best, in my opinion,
: are the straps with loops formed into the ends rather than hooks. You
: can run the strap back through the loop without sustaining damage
: whereas you shouldn't use a hook to come back onto a strap.

Again, I'm inclined to agree.  The hooks certainly LOOK convenient, but I've
wondered if they don't inflict a certain amount of excessive damage/stress
on the strap line itself with use.

: Ideally, again in my opinion, you carry two straps a cheapie to use
: as a tree protector, and a good snap-back strap for getting others
: and yourself out of a "stick".

Interesting idea. Makes sense. How is it I can agree with everything you're
saying here, John?!  Mayhaps the errant brother Landry can shoot holes in
this?! ;-)  I must be missing something... I never agree with EVERYTHING
John says! %^}

: Years ago, I buried our 1210 in the quicksand of Canyon de Chelley a
: number of times. It sank clear to the body pan which gave enough
: surface area to stop the sinking. But, in addition to more than 7000
: lbs. of vehicle our winches were pulling many many pounds of mud.

Ugggggh! Talk about "a sinking feeling"!

: Anyway, we broke winch cables twice, but that strap never faltered. I
: had paid about $60 for it from Dick Cepek in 1972. So it was
: expensive, but worth every cent.

Prob be around $150+ today!  I've been coveting the Superwinch straps...

http://www.superwinch.com/products/accessories/index.html

Maybe the 3"... Like the #2531 or #2519.

: >  Looks as if most of the white stuff
: >has melted.  How 'bout where you are?
:
: Here in our part of California , we got a little snow this morning
: after lots of rain last night. Should get in the high 50's this
: afternoon. Life here is hell.

When you get to Shoshone, is that when you switch to the 'other' e-mail
address (I have it home)?

: Hope your little guy gets better soon.

Thanks a lot.  He's 'better' but far from perfect. Still coughing a lot,
occasional fever, etc. "Mom" will tend to him tonight, as I have a must go
meeting tonight. Little? Nahhh!  He's almost 14 y.o. (1/1/04) and is already
taller than I am (5' 11" for me, he's darn near 6' now, anticipated by doc
to get to 6'6"!). Wears a size 12 sneaker now. I wear his old 10 1/2 "hand
me downs"! Never thought <I> would wear my <SON's> hand me downs! ;-)  Cat's
in the cradle guys, pay attention!

Sorry if this was a little off topic. Still, of 4x4 general interest, I'd
think.

Happy Trails, all!

     .===============.
   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/scout