Reply: [ihc] Parking brake cable lubing

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, John Hofstetter wrote:

> At 9:44 PM -0800 12/6/03, Allan W. wrote:
> >David's post on his parking brake has me
> >wondering:  Anyone ever seen a tool to
> >allow pumping grease into the parking brake
> >cable housing?  I bet all our 25+ year old
> >parking brakes would work much better if the
> >cable would slide in the housing a bit easier.
> >
> >Seems like if you had something that clamped around
> >the housing, and the cable tightly (maybe a rubber seal?)
> >and a zerk fitting on it, you could force grease down the
> >housing.
> >
> >Anyone?  If not perhaps I will set about making something.
> >I have multiple cables I'd like to free up a bit.

<snip>

> Good idea, but I need one for my speedometer cable also.

You can drip oil between the cable and the outer covering by cutting the
corner out of a plastic baggy, and slipping the corner of the bag over the
cable and outer sheath.

Then wrap the bag (tie wire or twist ties) to create an oil tight seal
between the bag and cable sheath.  if necessary use two or three layers of
baggies before wrapping the bag(s) to seal against the outer sheath.

Hang the cable so the end with the bag is higher than the other end. If
possible try not to allow the cable to loop lower than the other (open)
end.

Add oil (the folks up north might have to use 5-30 oil)  - it doesn't take
much - to the baggie, and secure the baggy so the only passage for the oil
is through the parking cable.

Here in Florida - I use 80-90 trans fluid.

Check after a couple of hours and add oil as necessary until it drips out
the other end.

FWIW - I've used this method to lubricate clutch cables - without R&R'n
the cables - which is such a pain in the ass.  This method should work on
parking cables.

YMMV

--
Ted Borck          tborck@domain.elided