[ihc] Re: Steering Knuckles RE: bearing switch

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: "Mac @ TRIAD" <mac@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 10:26 PM
Subject: Steering Knuckles RE: [ihc] Slight lift to older Travelall

snip >

> Mac, so you're saying the exact same part # that is the lower king pin
cone
> bearing can be used in place of the upper king pin bushing? And that gives
> better steering action. That's really interesting to me, and makes me
wonder
> who thought of doing that first. I certainly never would have thought of
> it... Kind of like who thought to eat the first artichoke? I'm glad there
> are individuals out there more inventive, intrepid, intelligent... than
> e.  -John A.

O my previous 1970 1200D pickup that I used for commuting to visit my kids
200 miles one way, and a part time summer job of spraying noxious weeds ,
with a sprayer and a 20' wide boom, I wore out the upper bushings twice.
Much of the spraying tool place on range land.  Much of it only accesable
with four wheel drive.  This axle was a dana 44.  I never checked as to
whether it was a HD or not.  While looking and wondering abot a way to fix
it, I tried the lower bearing in place of the upper bushing.  But the
kingpin spindle was to large, so Iturned it down to size on a lathe.  The
drivers side was more of a challenge because of the steering arm.  So I
lined it up close and turned it slow , using a file to reduce the pin size.
I then adjusted the bearing with a slight preload by removing or adding
shims.

About 5 years later while plowing snow, 245/70 x 19.5 14ply tires truck
chains on all 4,  I broke the steering arm bolts and the left king pin where
it was pressed and welded to the steering arm.  At that time, I replaced the
pin with an alloy steel 4140 and welded it to the steering arm.  This
happened during Christmas break, and the  temp. was 9 degrees F.  All my
searching for the 3/8" studs proved futile, so I drilled and tapped for
7/16", and drilled out the cone holes in the arm to fit.   I also welded a
nut to the sheared bolts in the hub, and when they cooled I turned them out
with my fingers.
(When a nut is welded to a stud ,or bolt that is to flush to get a grip on ,
the heating of the stud causes expansion. The surounding metal restricts the
expansion.  This either compresses the stud or expands the housing.  Upon
cooling the hotter stud will shrink more than the cooler housing, and will
have less restriction.)  Because my IH experience is with pickups, I am not
sure about other steering problems with TA's and Scouts.  Before I knew
about this list I replaced the front spring soft rubber(/neoprene?) bushings
with acetyle (sp) plastic, and put a blazer drag link in place of the weak
original that was not designed for what I was doing.

This may be more than you asked for, if so delete works.  Cheers Jim A.(
also getting older, 64 in Jan.)