Re: [ihc] help needed rebuilding front axle - diff removal

 My main
> goal here is to replace the inner oil seals on my D44 front,

Use a pipe (I think a 3" pluming pipe is the correct diameter) to force the old ones out, pushing from the outside to
the inside.

but I've
> got the parts to replace all the bearings and seals while I'm at it.
> I'm trying to be lazy and do this while the axle is still under the
> truck.  Am I crazy?

It is easier to work on it with it removed. You are going to R&R the ubolts anyway.

> I've removed the bearing caps in the diff, and am now trying to get the
> differential assembly out.  The manual says to use a "spreader" to
> spread the carrier.  Do I need this?  Do I need to get the diff out to
> replace the seals?

YES.

 Do I need to remove the axle from under the truck
> to do this?  Where do I get a spreader?

Randy's ring and pinion (search google) will have it. $$$

 Here is a cheap way to do it:

I used a 2X4 block of wood and a $10 5 foot iron called a hole digger from Home Depot, using the flat end. It levered
the ring  and carrier out many many many times.

Putting the assembly back in I used a $6 rubber coated hammer filled with BBs, available at Harbor Freight. Dead blow
hammer.

Read the "how To's" at Randy's site.

> Removing the axle will be a major job for me as it will involve buying
> more jack stands, lots of grinding to get my current U-bolts out, and
> buying new U-bolts (mine have been beat on rocks way too many times).

I am right now re-dooing my entire suspension. The old ubolts were bent, the spring plates smashed, one had even
cracked in two. Anyway I had to straighten out a ubolt by using a deep impact socket with an impact extension using my
foot. I used an impact wrench on all the nuts. One nut stripped out and just spun. I cracked the grade 8 nut using a
Sears Craftsman nut cracker, and then a chisle as a wedge; it came right off.

> Not to mention it will probably require tearing the knuckles down,
> which I'm trying to avoid.

Might as well do the whole thing. How are the ball joints?

Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
'79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
Copyright 2003 All rights reserved