[ihc] help needed rebuilding front axle - diff removal

Hi Guys,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the parts... now I've
got a counter full of front axle parts, and well on my way.  My main
goal here is to replace the inner oil seals on my D44 front, but I've
got the parts to replace all the bearings and seals while I'm at it.
I'm trying to be lazy and do this while the axle is still under the
truck.  Am I crazy?

I've removed the bearing caps in the diff, and am now trying to get the
differential assembly out.  The manual says to use a "spreader" to
spread the carrier.  Do I need this?  Do I need to get the diff out to
replace the seals?  Do I need to remove the axle from under the truck
to do this?  Where do I get a spreader?

Removing the axle will be a major job for me as it will involve buying
more jack stands, lots of grinding to get my current U-bolts out, and
buying new U-bolts (mine have been beat on rocks way too many times).
Not to mention it will probably require tearing the knuckles down,
which I'm trying to avoid.

Can anybody help me out here?  I figure there must be 1000 axle
teardowns in the list's combined experience... as you can tell, this is
my first.  It's getting to the point where I'm questioning whether it's
worth it for a D44 with 3.08 gears... but I reckon the experience will
be good for me regardless and I doubt I have the money for new axles
right now anyway.

Thanks in advance! Any suggestions welcome!

David
78 SII 345 T19
Greenville, SC

=====