Re: [ihc] help needed rebuilding front axle - diff removal

David Nedved wrote:

I've removed the bearing caps in the diff, and am now trying to get the
differential assembly out.  The manual says to use a "spreader" to
spread the carrier.  Do I need this?  Do I need to get the diff out to
replace the seals?  Do I need to remove the axle from under the truck
to do this?  Where do I get a spreader?
First, have you pulled the axle shafts out of the housing? It's going NOWHERE with the axle shafts still installed, so you need to tear down the wheel hubs and pull the axle shafts out.

THEN, it should come out. Mine only came out after I got frustrated and gave my prybar a good hard kick.. :D

Bill Thebert has a neat trick of running a nylon strap around the ring gear/carrier, to his Tow-bar, which is affixed to the front of the truck and the tongue is in the dirt.

He then uses his Hi-Lift to jack up the hitch/tow-bar, which pops that carrier right out.

You could try something with a come-along for a similar effect, or else get two big prybars and try some more.

We have always pry-bar'd diffs out. You DO DO DO need those axle shafts out first, though!

To put it all back together, we just use a deadblow mallet..

Greg'll chime in about Brinnelling the bearings, but so far so good..