Re: [ihc] help needed rebuilding front axle - diff removal

> Again, a matter of opinion. I always used a spreader and a gauge to
> measure pinion depth. Some guys use pry bars and design something to
> use as a fulcrum. I don't mind getting the carrier out this way, but
> I want the spreader to put it back in, so I always used a spreader. I

Thanks John,

I've given up on getting it out without a spreader.  I've found
pictures online of the spreader, and now that I've seen one in a good
picture, I can make out a bit more of the crappy picture in the manual.
 I found a spreader online for $240, but that's crazy.  I think I can
make one for less than $10 in raw materials.  I can borrow a guage from
my friend with a lathe, and he'll be able to turn the pins for me that
go into the holes in the carrier.  Still can't make it out in the
picture where the maximum of .02" is measured from though.  Is it
straight across the carrier, between the inner sufaces, in line with
the axle?

After banging on it all afternoon I think working on the axle in the
truck is the least of my worries, so I'll try to make a spreader and
tackle it where it is.

Thanks for the help.

David

=====