RE: [ihc] WOW CJs and my NEW (to me) Trailer

## >> ---Didn't that have the crappy GM 6 cylinder in it? What was
## >> it, a 2.6?

nope.  Dad's Cherokee has the four-litre inline six from AMC.  good engine,
that.  he's put nearly 300,000 miles on it since he got it, and hasn't had
any trouble with it at all.  he was looking at a second '88 Cherokee Chief
to have as a backup vehicle, and found one we both liked...  but it had the
bigger V6, and that's one crappy little engine.  the *only* bad thing about
Dad's Cherokee is it has that vile french transmission, the one that cost
more to fix than to replace and even brand new is better scrapped than
installed.  he bought a Borg Warner World Class T5 to put in, but the input
shaft on it is three quarters of an inch too short so he can't install it to
the current bellhousing and is stuck for ideas as to how to proceed from
here.  anybody have any suggestions?

## >> ---I liked the wife's late `93 Cherokee Sport. The 4.0 and the
## >> transmission/TC were pretty tough in that little station
## >> wagon. The one I
## >> got for her had 6K on a new motor and trans, so we didn't
## >> expect to have
## >> many problems with it anytime soon. Sure do miss that thing,
## >> especially now
## >> since they have the lift kits which weren't availible when we
## >> owned it...
## >> and the Ditchfinder the insurance settlement bough ended up to be the
## >> biggest POS in our driveway.

i haven't heard of anybody having serious complaints about any of the
Cherokees.  the older fullsize Cherokees were considerably superior in my
opinion, but even the later smaller ones are very nice little machines.  and
more than capable offroad.  my dad's taken his into some fairly hairy places
that i would have been intimidated about taking our Scout into.  his isn't
raised or modified or anything, has 30" tires, and he goes out all the time
and really uses it.  probably part of what wore out his transmission.

i've seen those lift kits and other new toys for the small Cherokee owners.
i keep trying to convince my dad that he needs some extra lift and 35"
tires, but he just laughs at me and points at my Scout, reminding me what
sorts of trouble such things can get one into.  he's actually considering
getting a couple inches of lift and putting on 33" tires, but so far hasn't
made any moves towards actually doing it.  his already has the factory
cutout fenders with the big rubber flares (part of the Chief package,
maybe?), so it would be a fairly simple thing to lift and put on the bigger
tires, no cutting of the fenders neccessary.

## >> ---How about checking out Car Domain.
## >> http://www.cardomain.com/id/offroadinrebel They were J10s and
## >> there is talk
## >> about this kid selling the one that is shown. He is in SC.
## >> IIRC, he wanted
## >> 5K for it. It has a blown motor, threw a rod or has a few
## >> collapsed lifters,
## >> not sure but it won't start now. Last I heard* it was
## >> rattling like 30 BBs
## >> in a soup can and he was still revving the motor like it was
## >> race day and a
## >> Formula 1. He has been turned down by so many people that he
## >> surely will
## >> come down in price. Body looks real* clean. but it has the
## >> regular problems
## >> with gauges and such.

i looked around a little bit, but i'm not all that serious about owning one
of these Jeeps.  i like them, but...  (mandatory IH content) my IHs need my
attention, and untill they don't need much more than daily maintenance (a
situation not likely to occur for the next ten or so years at least), i
don't want to start getting into any non-IH projects.  especially the B.
she's been neglected in the field for over twelve years now.  i hafta do
something about that before i try to do anything else.

as everybody who has a B knows, those are just the bestiest of the bestiest
in the IH world.  <grin>  i'd take home both of Joel F's big Bs if i could
afford them.  there ain't no such thing as too many Bs in the fleet.  maybe
someday i'll get a B series TravelAll to match.  having officially ridden in
one now and been able to see it up close and personal, i've decided that
they're cool enough to get one.  (thanks Allan!)  +)

## >> ---There is a guy here that is trying to sell, maybe he has
## >> already, a J3000
## >> that has a Buick 350 in it. Last I checked, he had a `65
## >> Scout for sale too,
## >> he wanted $200 for the J3000. I could have swore he said it
## >> was a `67. It
## >> was also a flatbed. Don't know if it came that way or not, I
## >> about choked
## >> when he said he wanted $600 for the Scout that looked like it had been
## >> ridden down the Ho Chi Minh Trail once too many times, so I
## >> didn't stick
## >> around long enough to talk about the weather.

the J3000 is a decent truck, but not the right model for me.  i only want
the ones from the two-digit series.  J10, J20, etc.  the 100/200/etc and
1000/2000/etc and so on are from the series that i don't really want.  i
have a friend back in CA with a super nice J20, and my uncle has a really
sweet J10 that i'd sure like to have.  neither of them is inclined to part
with their trucks, unfortunately, and one of my cousins already has dibs on
the J10.  shoot, i haven't seen him in about six years, he may already have
it.

## >> ---You unknowingly said that already, when you said that you liked the
## >> Honcho. The Honcho shown on tht site is a 1976 J-10 FSJ. Has
## >> coil overs
## >> too... stock.

that was the big deal about the Honcho.  not all fullsize trucks were
Honchos.  the Honcho was a "dress-up" model available in J10 and J20, with a
number of "offroad special" goodies.  if i am remembering correctly, none of
the "goodies" were optional.  if you bought a Honcho, it came with those
things.  part of what made it a Honcho.  i believe this included a special
suspension package with the coilovers and some other neat items.

plus, i'm pretty sure the Honcho was only available with a six-foot bed.
not positive on that, but i've never seen one with a longer bed.  both my
uncle's and my friend in CA's FSJs are 8-foot beds.

## >> ---Speaking of V-10s. Who was it that stated they had pics of
## >> a Challenger
## >> with a V10 (488) dropped into it? I want* to see pics of
## >> this. It originally
## >> came up when I stated I wanted to find some way to bolt a V10
## >> to my T19 and
## >> use 8 cylinders for power and 2 for on-board air :-D

wasn't me, but i'd like to see a Challenger with a V10 in it.  but only the
'68 through '70 year models.  those are the nicest.  especially the T/A
model from 1970 (my stepdad had one, ordered it brand new, 1970 Challenger
T/A with the 340 sixpack, ramair hood, and 4-speed, man that car could
run!).  i don't need the onboard air...  but then again, i don't really need
the extra two cylinders.  look what happens when i have the basic eight
cylinders working properly all at the same time in a small vehicle.  can we
say turning turtle?  i don't need extra temptation to get into the
carburetor/fuel injection with my lead foot, thank you all the same.  +)

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.