[ihc] More on My Dilema (Maybe the End to My...)

---I am taking a break right now. It is dark, I am beat and the last I
worked on the Scout it wouldn't idle normally. The oil is doing good, took
it for a 5 mile trek down the road and back. No gas in the oil that I could
tell, but I have a bucket catching oil from the rear main seal (dripping
steadily when parked it). I lost some oil off the flywheel, undercoated the
Scout a little and lubricated the front driveshaft slip-yoke.

---What concerns me, other than the surging during idle, is when I installed
the rear main seal, I had a slight problem. As mentioned back then, the bore
around the crank seemed out-of-round. I had* to apply RTV to the back of the
seal to fill the difference. I had asked about a "Rear Crankshaft Repair
Sleeve" that works in conjunction with the rear main seal. What is this part
for? Would this part be used after the bore is made over-size, to slip
between the maincap and the block and then installing the rear main seal? A
type of bushing similar to the idea behind oversized bearings? I was and am
clueless, but I had seen it listed on two different sites, IIRC it was
AutoZone and Advance that had it listed.

---As for the erratic, surging at idle, what is happening is this. The motor
starts fine and runs fine, then the idle drops almost to the point of
stalling out. It kicks back up to about 750 RPM and drops down again,
tomorrow I will put the tach on and see what is happening, plus check
compression and vacuum. When I "goose" the accelerator, it comes up fine
(normal hesitation) and drops back down and comes extremely close to dying.
It has new intake gaskets, new valley pan gasket... I would guess this could
be due to the rear main seal being blown out (if it is) and the crankcase
pressure/vacuum being unstable. I will check more tomorrow, in new light.

---If I have a cracked block, don't recall ever hearing a rod getting thrown
or anything similar, I will be pissed beyond belief. If it is a head, I have
a matching set that was off the `65-`68 mass produced motor originally. I
may lose some compression due to the different style heads, I may not be
able to use the heads at all if the pistons were changed out, but if it is a
block, I don't have a spare one of those. :,-( Heck, I don't even have the
$$ for head gaskets, so I am just waiting for sun-rise top go out and do a
compression test. Don't have the tools for a cylinder leak test, but I would
guess if the compression is good and near equal, I wouldn't need to do a
leak test... right?

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)