[ihc] Intake Decarbonizing

Hiya All,

My vehicle, say the Scout for topicality ;) is starting to ping under
high throttle a little and use about 1qt/3000mi of oil (more than it
used to). So I was thinking one possibility might be that it is
getting some carbon buildup on the valves and rings maybe.

I might try decarbonizing it (couldn't hurt anyway), and am having
trouble deciding what to use. I'm not too hip on pecan shells thing. I
could possibly be persuaded into pouring water or ATF down its throat
if others really believe in that stuff.

I was thinking about using Sea Foam as it seems to be designed for
such use. Does anyone have an opinion on it or other brand of similar
treatment? Or if ATF is really preferred, I wonder if synthetic or
regular or MMO might work better?

In all seriousness, when I get the Scout running again, it could
probably use the same treatment. I just thought some of the
automotively minded here might have some good opinions on the
advisability and products for doing this.

Thanks,
Colin
mailto:colin@domain.elided