RE: [ihc] Maybe the End to My Wartime Motor :(

## >> A thought on the gas in your crankcase. A possible source is
## >> a bad diaphram
## >> on the fuel pump. A bad diaphram with a small hole/crack in
## >> it will allow
## >> fuel to  fill up the pump and run into the crank case via the actuator
## >> levor.
## >>
## >> You might remove the pump and see if fuel is where its not
## >> supposed to be.
## >> What you describe is a lot of fuel to leak past the rings
## >> with out hydro
## >> locking the engine.

i agree with Tom.  check the fuel pump.  a few years ago, a buddy of mine
and i (along with my lovely Bride) were running some errands one evening in
his 4-door '74 Plymouth Satellite.  nice car.  a land tank, really.  anyway,
as we're getting ready to come home up the mountain late that night, we stop
for gas.  shut the car off, fill the tank, then go to restart--it cranks
okay but won't go.  open the hood, start looking at things, checking fluids
and so forth, trying to see what the problem is.

pulling the dipstick for the oil, we find a strong scent of gasoline.
closer inspection reveals the oil is heavily laced with fuel and the carb
isn't getting any fuel at all.  make a couple phone calls, get the car
trailered home (spent the night in it at the gas station).  get it up on
blocks, drain the oil, start looking the motor over...  long story short,
the diaphragm on the fuel pump tore and filled the block with gas.

we wound up having to rebuild that engine later, but not because of this.
replaced the oil, replaced the pump, and that car ran well for several more
years before we had to tear the engine down due to a blown head gasket.

on a related note, when the fuel pump for my 1010 failed, it didn't fill the
crankcase with fuel, it just stopped pumping.  torn diaphragm, unreliable
operation, but no fuel in the oil.  weird.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.