Re: [ihc] Maybe the End to My Wartime Motor :(

---Tomorrow I am draining the oil out of the Scout. 7 quarts of Mobile 1
synthetic that has less than 1000 miles on it, and a Mobile 1 oil filter.
What a waste, much more so than to have it spill on the driveway, which is
how I discovered it in the first place. I guess now my new rear main seal is
toast, or gas slips past the seal easier than oil, it was dripping like a
leaky faucet when I parked it in the yard after running around town. I am
sure my bearings are most likely a nice shade of copper and my lifters are
primed with a substance more harsh than kerosene. The motor will get at
least, a good flush, fresh oil and filter and hopefully last another
x(x),000 miles, but these last few thousand miles will not be off-road and
she will be babied like she never imagined. :-(

Thomas,

I think, and certainly hope, that the gas dilution won't mean a lot of damage. For one thing, you are using a synthetic oil, and I don't think that gas dilutes the "oiliness" like it does with dino oil. For another thing, the synthetic has more lubricity, and even diluted, I think it probably kept things from binding up badly.

I don't have an opinion on your rear main seal.

John

--
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs