[ihc] Check your old spring plates

I broke a spring plate on the trail (pic at end of story).

You might want to check yours.

Look closely at the last picture, it clearly shows that half of the plate was cracked through for some time, as it is
rusty. I did not catch the crack, close inspection is required.

I ordered Fleckster's hidden plates, will do pics and a write up.

If you want, there are more pics - plug in sequential numbers from 61 to 104, (there are a few numbers not present).

Mini Trip report: Refer to Tonto Natnl Forest Map
Hwy 87 out of Mesa past Sunflower up to the Mt Ord exit, go left just as for the Sunflower Mine Trail, stay on the
paved road (this is the old highway 87 by the way). Go to almost the end, look to the right and find Forest Road 393.

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0061.jpg

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0062.jpg

A landform that looks like "termite hills" to me

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0094.jpg

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0095.jpg

go past a mini ocotillo forest

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0097.jpg

and through many many washouts in decomposing tan granite hills, scraping both bumpers in them, narrow trail and
leaning to the side hoping I don't roll over a time or two, then through a wide sandy wash, losing the trail for a
while, then finding the marker and continuing on (no pics, trying to get out of the wash before it rains)

Follow the power line south west from the trailhead about 15-20 mi most of the way to Bartlett Lake

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0099.jpg

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0100.jpg

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0101.jpg

going through many more hair pin turns and washouts on a narrow trail then I hear a popping and scraping noise I get
out to find a shock that fell off, no big deal, right?

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0103.jpg

and on closer inspection YIKES!

http://users3.ev1.net/~jlidberg/pics/031116_FR393_to_Barlett_Lake_lo_res/DSCN0104.jpg

I am stuck in the middle of nowhere, 15 or 20 miles deep in on a trail most vehicles would not be able to travel on. I
haven't seen a sole all day, no traffic and no one around. I blocked the wheels with stones and lifted the rear bumper
with the HiLift jack becasue I didn't want to get crushed in case the ubolts broke. I removed the broken shock and
started to jury rig a come-along around the ubolts to try to keep them from popping apart. Just then two men on 4 wheel
 ATVs come up from the lake. Long story short they were headed back to the top of trail at the highway where they had
left their truck and trailer and they led the way back and stopped to check my progress. I cinched up the come-along
several times, the ol' Scout made it all the way home - it now sits where I parked it - without the ubolts popping
apart.

- Jim in Mesa
Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
'79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
Copyright 2003 All rights reserved