From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
T.R.E.Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 11:31 PM
To: IHC-Digest
Subject: [ihc] I...Think I Have, I... Think I Have

--Okay, I want to thank those who put forth effort to help and also thank
those who didn't... for believing the problem would be solved. First off,
sitting here I have a points dizzy which I set the contacts to .010". If I
haven't solve the problem, I am going to install this and cross all body
parts of which I have more than one. What are the specs on a Holley points
dizzy and how do you set the dwell (if you do)?

---Today during my frequent stops at home, I went and talked with the Scout.
I cleaned the terminals on the plug wires and coil wires, took Q-tips with
rubbing alcohol to the terminals in the cap and the coil, sandpaper to all
the copper, and dielectric grease to all terminations. One thing might be
that I was using spark plug boot protector for dielectric grease without
knowing I was doing so. I have two tubes and thought I had one, the
dielectric grease tube was found with a label and the tube I was using had
the label worn off. DOH!

---One thing I did notice the night the Scout broke down on us, was the
pungent odor of raw fuel. Well, I cannot stress how important it is to
listen to what Holley says, From here on in, I am going to live by the
phrase "use only genuine Holley parts on your Holley". I bought an Echlin
kit from NAPA, and though they are a company owned by Dana, I believe my
old* needle and seat is a far better design than the one I mentioned was in
the rebuild kit when I rebuilt the carb 2 years ago. I noticed today when I
was diagnosing problems with my trusty ear and nose, that the carb would
flood out occasionally and for no particular reason. I rebuilt again two
weeks ago, using spare gaskets from the many 2300g kits I have bought over
the years and my re-useable gaskets, have the tank PORed, and all fuel lines
clean, so I couldn't believe that when I swapped out the needle and seat for
an ancient one, that the problem disappeared. Now I think it is time to
change my "less than 700 mile" Mobile 1 oil and filter, fill with cheap oil
and flush out all the fuel that surely had to seep into my crankcase. I was
getting terrible economy during the previous tuning of the motor and it was
indescribably poor when I would take her for a test drive or to the store.

---The thing that had me stumped was how it would idle wonderfully and act
like an asthmatic when under load. I am still suspicious about the EGR
valve, if anyone has a part number I would greatly appreciate it. This is
for a 304 w/2300 and T-19. I don't believe that blocking off the EGR is
acceptable with my motor and I would really like to replace the EGR which I
virtually destroyed with grease cutter.  :-O

---I am not through yet, I am suspicious that it wants more attention. It is
running fine now and driving fine. In the past, I would have been happy and
thought nothing of it. Now, I think it is up to something. I wouldn't be
surprised if tomorrow it were spewing out fuel again, but for now, she sits
quietly...  waiting, plotting...

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)
---