Re: [ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #201

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:47:33 -0800 J Grammer <jim@domain.elided> wrote:

> >1. I'm poking around on the internet, looking to get an idea of what my
> >new Mobil-1 supply is going to cost me, and all I can find is websites
> >showing "documented studies" on how Amsoil products are superior to M1.
> >There's a million of them! What is it, multi-level marketing? Is there
> >anything to it, or is it all hype? I liked having decided (with your help)
> >on a product to use in my truck, and now it seems I have more research
> >to do...

> Yes, MLM.

bascially, Amsoil is a fine product with an really really really really really
annoying marketing program.

i've talked to race engine builders who have dyno'd motors using Amsoil,
Redline, and Mobil 1 and they indicate that all three are good, but Amsoil
and Redline both outperform Mobil 1 and are about neck-and-neck with
each other. this is of course a simple maximize-the-horsepower test,
not addressing lifetime as racers don't leave motor oil in for 15,000 miles
anyway; the motors don't last that long.

john meister (of the diesel-benz/xj/fsj lists on digest.net) is an amsoil
dealer who doesn't really engage in the annoying marketing, he should
be contactable at john@domain.elided or john@domain.elided
he has a web page, but i don't have the link handy. i'm sure he'll tell
you what it is.

richard