Re: [ihc] Should I bore my block or not?

At 7:47 PM 11/15/03, Ryan Moore wrote:
> [...]

.060 (4.185") is a good limit for overboring a 392.

Dave and I are kicking around coming up with a source (master lobes needed)
for cams that would take FULL advantage of the .997 lifter diameter in the
IH SV's , giving significantly higher lift rates than what is available out
there now (all current stuff uses Chubby, tiny lifter, lobe profiles)--thus
giving much higher lift at short durations.

Dave and I have also kicked around the idea of figuring out a 'port plate'
for the exhaust side of the SV heads--only REAL way to get rid of the
restrictive part of the IH SV heads. The intake side of 392  heads is NOT
AT ALL restrictive--in fact, is the opposite, if anything !!

Dave makes a roller rocker set-up. I believe that Harlan Sharp is VERY
close to having an EVEN NICER roller rocker set-up ready to go.

Set the squish/quench clearance as CLOSE as you can when building the
engine. ( .020" ??, but only if you're GOOD).

Try Cunningham Rods for custom rods with the GOOD ARP rod bolts.
Replacement IH rod bolts have gotten so unobtanium as to make custom rods
look like a good deal !!

Use bronze valve guides, instead of the stock (replaceable) iron ones.
Tighten up the stem to guide clearance from stock. Stock valves are the
BEST available , PERIOD !! If you can find 'exhaust grade material' intakes
in the FM catalogue, USE 'em.n If you want to get carried away, Get the
Nimet Industries (located in Gary, Indiana) teflon impregnated carbide
coating applied to the bores of the valve guides.

Ceramic coatings on all surfaces exposed to fire.

Carried away again, but Bore Tech treatment of the cylinder bores and hand
lapping the rings to pre-seat them is neat stuff.

Nimet Industries teflon impregnated hard anodizing of the piston skirts is
REALLY neat stuff.

The crank journals are induction hardened, so nitriding would be superfluous.

POLISH the chambers and exhaust ports before coating them.

Unless you are going to a full DIS ignition with coils near plugs, and full
electronic control of the ignition timing, get and USE a DELCO distributor.
Aftermarket tuning parts (available from Crane Cams) for a Chubby window
type Delco dizzy FIT it.

Bore out the holes in the intake (assuming you are using a square bore
intake) under the throttles to 1-13/16" diameter. The difference from THIS
one is HUGE.

Use the late style one piece rockers unless you go to rollers.

Greg