Re: [ihc] Should I bore my block or not?

At 6:14 PM -0500 11/15/03, Rocky Lear wrote:
Is it a good idea to bore a 392 block? I'd like to have as many cubes as I can but given the restrictive nature of the heads...even after a good port job...I don't know if I should go any farther than the minimum needed. I spoke to a guy who actually used to run an IH truck in pulls and he says that he had blocks bored .125ths over without problems. What do you think?

Rocky
Rocky,

I'll tell you what I think, FWIW. Because of cooling problems that many old IH's have, I'd bore the engine the minimum amount. Because of the nature of these engines, I don't think you'd gain that much advantage anyway.

And that's what I think. When guys tell you to bore it way out because they did, or they knew someone who did, ask them how that engine does in the desert in 120 degree heat pulling a 20 % grade at 5mph.

John
--
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs