Re: [ihc] Towing Tips reminders needed!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 19:54
Subject: [ihc] Towing Tips reminders needed!

> Okay, I am taking off this weekend to go about 600-700 miles and pick up a
> non-runner Scout.  I will be towing it home on one of those tow dollies
that
> lifts two wheels off the ground and leaves two on the ground.  I am
looking
> for the general advice/knowledge of this list as far as which way is best
> tow it this long of a distance.
>
> Should I put the rear tires on the dolly and tow backwards, or put the
fronts
> on and tow it forwards?  Also, in either application, was the conclusion
> reached that the driveshafts SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be removed?

<snip>

If rear wheels are on the ground the driveshaft (rear) should be removed.
I'd put the fronts on the dolly, seems (to me at least) that it might be a
bit more stable that way, especially since so much weight will be on the
front of the vehicle due to the engine.  That weight can put more downforce
on your hitch (if loaded properly on the dolly) and make your towing
experience go better...

-Ryan