Re: [ihc] To Diesel or not to Diesel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Greuel" <andreas@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:23 PM
Subject: [ihc] To Diesel or not to Diesel

> I currently have a Scout with the 304 engine, but I was always thinking
> about converting to the NISSAN TD engine. I now have the oppotunity to
> get a 1980 Diesel model for a rerasonable price. But I still wanted to
> check w/ someone who actually drove both, the Diesel and the gas engine
> for comparison. How does the Diesel behave compared to the 304, or the
> 345?
>
> Any input is appreciated.

Andreas,
My experience is with a diesel in a 3 liter non turbo car.  The 3 liter is
about 187 cubic inches. It produces 77 hp, but does have higher torque.  It
will start harder in cold weather, and I feel that I have to check my
calendar when I want to pass another car.  It is more predictable than a gas
engine and will last longer.  I also get better fuel milage. It's much more
critical to buy clean fuel for the diesel. The parts generally  cost more
but they seem to last longer.  I also have a 7.3 liter turbo in our Pickup
that we haul the camper with.  The average mpg in the car is 24 it's a 76,
and the pickup is a94 with an average mpg w/ camper 12 without 15.5.  If the
cost was not so much I would put a 7.3 turbo in my IHC 1310 pickup.  I'm
sure you will get lot's of comments on this potential project.  With the
same gross weight in both pickups, I have a small difference in power, but
the diesel has a LOT more torque at the low end of rpm. and thr fuel milage
is 8 mpg for the 392 vs 12 for the 7.3.  Lot's of folks on this list are
more experienced than I.  Enjoy the coming comments.  Jim A.
Jim Aos
jaos@domain.elided
Okanogan, WA

72 1310 I.H.C 4x4      243000 miles