RE: [ihc] Things That Go GRRRRRRRIND In The Night!

Hey Tom,

Me again. Thanks for this note as well.

: I presume the bottom is coming loose?  The mount on the

The top actually, so the shock then swivels down and drags the top "eye" on
the pavement. *&^%$#@!

: U-bolt plate may be worn, but in any case, get a longer bolt,
: fine-thread.  Long enough that you can double-nut it.
: Tighten as usual, then apply red Loctite to the second nut,
: put an open end wrench on the first, run the second bolt down
: TIGHT against the first.

Yeah, I wanted to do the Loctite (Permatex) Threadlocker (the red stuff),
and see how that did.  I might double nut AND Threadlock.  Safety wire or a
'hairpin' crossed my mind as well.

: Between the Loctite and the double-nut, it should stay put..
: if not, look to safety wire it, or just WELD the nut to the bolt.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but it wouldn't  surprise me...

: If I were a betting man, I'd say you just ripped your
: passenger side, rear-of-front-spring mount from the frame.

You called that correctly!  I posted my findings a little bit ago, but as
always, you knew the correct answer.

: Easy check - is the shackle on the passenger side "flat" and
: pointing straight forward?

Ixnay...

: To repair, use your tape measure a bunch, disconnect the
: mount from the spring, beat mount back into place with
: appropriate BFH and clamp into place with a C-clamp or other
: device, then weld.

I'll give it a go... It I've got a big a** C-clamp that'll be perfect -
it'll get me to the welder.

: If you lack the facilities to weld/beat, plan B is to use a
: come-along and a chain to draw the spring back a bit, roughly
: to where it needs to go, using the Come-along and chain.
: Then drive to the nearest weldor and ask him to glue it back together.

Yeah, I might try this. I can beat. No come-along here... I really need to
buy one someday. Do have a 60" Hi-Lift though, which often is about as much

Thanks for the suggestions, that'll get me on the road to recovery! I'll
fetch a loaner vehicle and the spring mount will be the weekend project.

BTW, does Michelle know you're 'always right', yet?!  ;-)

Cheers,

--Pete