RE: [ihc] 13" clutches ...I think it is possible

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA <choke gasp wheeze>

ah well.  pricey as this stuff is, it doesn't seem to stop me from coating
the driveway here in it.  which is kind of silly.  neither the TravelAll nor
the Scout leaked when i left CA.  now that we're here...  both of them leak.
the front main seal on the Scout leaks, about half a quart a day or so.  the
TravelAll has a leak somewhere up front, but i haven't seen where yet (this
one has all kinds of junk everywhere, so i can't see where the leak is
coming from, but the puddle under it every day is pretty obvious).
My view is that I'd much rather have the seal leak in the front rather than the rear. However, if the seal in the timing case is bad, the crankshaft probably has to be cleaned up for the new seal to hold. Emery cloth, crocus cloth, etc.

the TravelAll's 727 has also developed a leak now.  awith synthetic tranny
oil in that one...  these oils get expensive in a hurry.  oh, and did i
mention the brake leak that i can't find?  synthetic brake fluid disappears
at the rate of the entire front reservoir once a week.  but no sign of leaks
at the wheel cylinders and i can't see where it's going.

Mac, you may remember that my rear reservoir kept going dry without any fluid showing up anywhere. Finally tracked that leak down to a leak in the prop valve. Guess you already know that the front reservoir goes to the front brakes, if that helps.

If your 727 leak is the shift seal, that repair is cheap, and not too hard. Does it leak mostly when you are parked? If so, it's the shift seal.

John

--
John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs