RE: [ihc] Installed a Holley 2300!

## >> After 6months of messing about with my old carb...I also
## >> installed a new
## >> holley 2300 (350cfm) in my 77 Traveller V345 about 6 weeks
## >> ago.. and also am very
## >> pleased with the results .. started straight up first time..
## >> no tweaking
## >> needed. And havent had any issues since.

this is pretty good stuff.  what i find odd is that i've owned three 304
engines, a 1965, a 1966, and a 1970.  they *all* came with Holley 2300 carbs
on them, though i do not know what part number 2300 any of them are.  untill
people here on the Digest started mentioning other carbs, i didn't know that
the SV was available with anything other than a Holley 2300 for 2-barrels
and 4150/4160 for 4-barrels.

the first two 304s i had, the '65 and '66, both ran extremely well.  that
'65 ran great in the D1200 it came in, and then ran great right up untill i
killed it in the '60 B122.  the '66 had shot valve guides from sitting
(truck had just over 8,000 miles on it[1] when i got it), but other than
that, was a really awesome engine.  i've never driven the 304 from the '70
Scout 800A, but that's only because it was replaced with a 392 before we got
it and the owner gave me the old engine with the Scout.  i'm told it ran
exquisitely.

so i'm not surprised to find that you other fellows replacing whatever carbs
you had with new 2300s are having good successes.  from my own experience,
the SV engine is very well matched to the 2300, be it a 500cfm (what was on
my '65) to the 350cfm (on the '66 and '70).

--Mac

[1] that's not a typo.  the 1966 1500A i picked up had a little over 8,000
original miles on it, but it looked like it had been over the mountain,
around the bend, up the river, etc etc etc (it was beat nearly to death).
it belonged to a vineyard that supposedly never took it off the vineyard
premises.  it hadn't even been registered with the State of California for
the last five or so years of its service life with them.  i bought it in
1991, it had been excessed in 1986, and last registration date was 1981.  it
had an hourmeter in it showing over 10,000 hours, though.  the guy i bought
it from is the guy who originally operated it and took delivery of it when
it was new, apparently he bought it from the vineyard when they liquidated
it, he was going to tear the body off and build a forklift on the chassis...
he indicated that it had spent most of its time sitting around with the
engine running but not actually being driven.

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/