[ihc] Different Axle Widths on T'All

Here's a question I posted on BB with no takers yet, thought I'd try it here
as well:

On my 67 Travelall, with stock Dana 44s front and back, there's a difference
in the drum to drum dimension. The front is wider than the rear by about 4
inches (haven't measured lately, but that's my best recollection from when I
did). So the front tires stick out 2" (+/-) further than the rears from the
wheel wells. I'd like them to be the same. Can anyone see a problem with me
doing one of the following: 1. running wheels with a different center offset
front and back, or 2. installing a spacer (and longer studs) between the
rear wheels and drums to equalize the width. Or is there a good reason to
leave the tread to tread footprint alone? (Why was it built this way?)
Thanks for any thoughts on this... -John

---