RE: [ihc] Intake manifolds

## >> This motor has supposedly about 20K since a rebuild.  The
## >> pickup I took
## >> it out of was set up to run on either LPG or Gasoline.  LPG would want
## >> more compression, right?  It doesn't seem to be pinging.  The
## >> plugs read
## >> a little rich.
## >>
## >> I want to punch it listen to the exhaust cackle and the rocks fly.  It
## >> won't do that.  A heavy trailer and a hill and I start losing rpms.
## >> Even when it kicks down, it doesn't scream and dig in.
## >>
## >>
## >> What am I missing?

check your cam.

what you are describing is exactly what my 1110 TravelAll does with its 392,
and it's got the Holley Pro-Jection.  4.10 gears, 33" tires, 727.  it
*should* just about make you wet your pants when you stomp it, but this one
just kinda grunts and poops along till about 2200rpm, when it will push you
back in the seat pretty hard.  it took forever to get the kickdown linkage
set properly, and it's still not compleatly right, but it now shifts more or
less where it should and kicks down when it should.  more or less.  my
engine's problem?  it's got an aftermarket "performance" cam, and it really
screwed up the low-end performance and put the powerband up where i neither
want it nor can really use it.  on hills under load, unless i kick it down
manually to keep the RPMs above 2200, forget it.  it'll bog down and
eventually slow to a total crawl.  ZERO throttle response under load, too.

the 392 in my 1010 is the meanest IH gasoline engine i've ever driven.  from
a standing start it'll start spinning the 31" tires and it'll still be
spinning 'em when you make the shift into third gear.  727, 3.73 gears, 31"
tires, Holley double pumper 650cfm 4150 vacuum secondaries square-bore carb.
this one GETS there, and it's a kick to drive.  when it ran.  it would do
exactly what you're asking for.  under *any* conditions, you drop the
hammer, the engine screams, the tires dig in, and pavement, smoke, rocks,
dirt, whatever is handy clouds the air prodigiously.  THIS is how a 392
should perform.

our Scout also has a 392, with a ThermoQuad spreadbore, all the smog crap
removed.  T18 tranny, 3.73 gears, 31" tires, and while it'll get there too,
it doesn't perform nearly like the 1010 did.  it's got a spreadbore intake
from a 345 that has had the EGR blocked off (original intake didn't have EGR
at all), that might have something to do with it.  this one just doesn't
quite have the oomph that the 1010 has, and i think it should.

anyway, look at the cam.  your symptoms sound too much like mine to ignore
that possibility.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde