RE: [ihc] axles and drop-centre wheels

At 9:27 AM 11/3/03, Mac @ TRIAD wrote:

>but was there a No-Spin for the smaller ones?  both of mine had a No-Spin in
>them, as does the current axle.

Might have been, but I don't know.

>## >> A drop center rim takes tubeless tires--
>## >>
>## >>  the B122 came with those funny-shaped-centre 16" splits,
>## >>
>## >> Canadian made shiite !! Better know to real truckers as
>## >> "widow makers"--and
>## >> for GOOD reason !! The VERY BEST thing you can do with that
>## >> type of wheel
>## >> is cut 'em in two with a torch !!!
>
>now i'm a little confused.  those wheels are what the truck rolled out of IH
>with in 1960.  when i say funny-shaped centre, i just meant the wheel isn't
>flat like my duals are, it's got a rounded ridge that sticks out around the
>centre lug area, i've seen many of these kinds of wheels with hubcaps popped
>in there, my D1200 had some.  i can provide pictures of the wheels i had, if
>that will help determine if they're what you're calling canadian garbage or
>not.

If they come apart in nearly the center of the rim, into two nearly equal
size pieces (with the center attached to one of the two pieces) they are
DANGEROUS GARBAGE !! Original IH or NOT !! If they have a split ring on one
side of the rim that comes off of the rest of the rim, they are split rims,
and OK.

>## >> Captain Obvious sez : Because the center portion of the rim drops to a
>## >> smaller diameter so that you have a place to let one side of
>## >> the bead of a
>## >> tubeless tire drop into when slipping the opposite side of
>## >> the bead over
>## >> the rim while mounting it !! :-)
>
>oh!  i didn't know that's what "drop centre" meant.  i thought maybe you
>were referring to the actual wheel centre, like the mounting surface area.
>i know the portion of the wheel you're referring to.  the wheels on the
>Scout are like that, as are the mags on the TravelAll.  no wonder those
>won't fit on the RA15/RA20.
>
>## >> Don't know of anybody ever made 16.5" wheels in anything but a drop
>## >> center--in fact don't know of ANY _1/2"_ size wheels ANYWHERE
>## >> in anything
>## >> but a drop center. In TRUCK wheels, at least, a drop center
>## >> wheel nominally
>## >> 2-1/2" larger diameter is designed to be a DIRECT replacement
>## >> for a split
>## >> rim:
>## >> 22.5" replaces 20", 24.5" replaces 22", 19.5" replaces 17",
>## >> 18.5" replaces
>## >> 16", 16.5" replaces 14", etc. !!
>## >>
>## >> This even extends to the tires: an 11x24.5 tire has exactly the same
>## >> rolling diameter as a 10x22, an 8.00 x 19.5 matches a 7.50x
>## >> 17, a 9.00x22.5
>## >> matches an 8.25x20, etc.--and all these pairs match closely
>## >> enough so that
>## >> you can run one dualled with another in a pinch !!
>
>i'll be keeping this in mind if i ever get new wheels.  i'd heard this
>before, somewhere else, but never had the wheels next to each other to
>compare for myself.  i've never really liked half-inch tire sizes anyway.
><grin>  would this be the reason that the 16" splitrims have a similar
>rolling diameter to the 33" tires and 16.5" wheels currently on the
>TravelAll?  having had both trucks side by side, but not taken strict
>measurements, they sure look very similar in diameter.

There are a LOT of WEIRD size 16.5 tires out there. What i was saying
applies much better to the larger stuff.

>## >> Crud on the mounting face of the hub or wrong lug studs or
>## >> the stamped lugs
>## >> on the backing plates that support the brake shoes laterally
>## >> and align them
>## >> square to the drum were worn or grooved--or a bent backing
>## >> plate. Solution
>## >> to the worn support lugs is to build 'em up with gas weld,
>## >> hard face them
>## >> (with a carburizing flame) (quench to harden) and then grind
>## >> flat, smooth,
>## >> and true. Makes 'em work FAR better & smoother than original,
>## >> and the hard
>## >> facing solves the wear problem PERMANENTLY !! Either fixed as above OR
>## >> original, you're supposed to put some lubriplate on those lugs when
>## >> installing new shoes --but hardly anyone DOES it !!!
>
>DING DING DING!!!  the bells are going off and the lights have come on!  one
>of my "work mates" got mad at me one day and took four of my six lugnuts off
>and loosened the remaining two on the right rear wheel (we had a
>"discussion" about it a couple days later)...  the wheel came off going down
>the road.  i replaced the lugs, but...  that's the side that kept breaking
>drums, and it was AFTER the wheel came off and i repaired it.  i'd only been
>driving it maybe two months when this incident occurred.  i'd never have
>connected that event with the consistent breaking of drums, though.  perhaps
>the axle and drum slamming down on the ground at about 35mph damaged
>something enough to start breaking drums?  at the time i could not see any
>damage, but...  perhaps that's what did it?

NO doubt about it !!

>i'll be looking very closely at the brakes on the new axle.  nobody ever
>mentioned to me that i had to use lubriplate on anything when i was doing
>the brakes for the RA15.  in fact, the bloody manual i had didn't mention
>lubing those aligning lugs either.  if they're worn, or even if they're not,
>i think i'll have 'em *fixed* as specified.  is it possible to resurface old
>drums with hardfacing in the same manner and then turn them to true?  i've
>thought about that off and on for a long time, but never checked to see if
>it would work.  will it?  if it will, that's probably cheaper and easier
>than trying to replace the drum.

Cannot be done to drums. Those backing plates are steel, not cast iron !!

Greg