Re: [ihc] RA15/RA20 --Let's not KILL the worms !!

At 10:28 PM 11/2/03, Rocky Lear wrote:
>I have tried to hang in there with all the details of the postings and
>appreciate all of the feedback. At this point, I am trying to determine
>how to cut through all of the tangles to adapt what I have read to my own
>situation.
>
>I have a D70 front. It has the 6 lug pattern. Since I will be converting
>it over to an open knuckle, I assumed the lug pattern would be of little
>consequence and buy back the spindles and rotors that I will need. I'd
>sure like to retain these factory lockout hubs though but don't know if I
>can because they may be too big to fit the parts being put back on (parts
>that I will assume to be the same as a D60).

ASS-uming ANYTHING about what will fit which when you start playing with
this stuff is a HUGE mistake !!!

The lock-out hubs on a six lug 70 F would be Warn part # M-146. They do NOT
fit ANYTHING else, and are unobtanium today. If you are NOT going to use
'em, DO NOT throw them away, they could certainly find a happy home here
!!! You need Warn #M-148's to fit IH eight lug 70F hubs, and something
entirely different for virtually any hubs you would end up using with an
open knuckle conversion !! I think Selectro are the only folks building a
hub currently that will interchange with M-148's.

>Does anyone know if a 15" aftermarket aluminum 8 lug wheel (about 3 5/8"
>backspacing) will fit over the RA15 drums? Is there any way to convert
>this axle to disc brakes?

Are you talking a 6 or an 8 lug RA15 ?? MAYBE on an eight lug with 12"
brakes. NO WAY over the 14" brakes !! BUT --why in the name of HEAVEN would
you want 15" wheels--Absolutely NO 15 " aftermarket alloy wheels out there
that even get CLOSE to the weight rating of that axle, let alone fit over
adequate brakes--and, further, about the only tires that would get close to
the appropriate load capacity would be 15" lo-boy trailer tires !!!

What are you trying to build--- a DEATH TRAP ??

Greg